[wp-hackers] WP_Object_Cache problem

Brad Williams bradw at illiams.com
Fri Dec 11 16:42:42 UTC 2009

I'm looking for some help in understanding the WP_Object_Cache class.  I've
read through the Codex article here:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/WP_Cache

And also Doug Campbell's blog post here:

http://dougal.gunters.org/blog/2006/07/21/using-the-wordpress-object-cache

But I'm having problems getting it to work across page loads.  Below is my
basic example script:

add_action('admin_init', 'gmp_cache');

function gmp_cache() {

                $mydata = wp_cache_get('gmp-plugin', 'complex-query');

                if (false === $mydata) {

                                echo "CACHE does not exist";

                                $mydata = "my cached data";

                                $myexpire = 60 * 60 * 24; // Cache data for
one day (86400 seconds)

                                wp_cache_set('gmp-plugin', $mydata,
'complex-query', $myexpire);

                }Else{

                                echo "CACHE DOES EXIST";

                                $mydata = wp_cache_get('gmp-plugin',
'complex-query');

                                echo $mydata;

                }

}

Basically this will always display "CACHE does not exist.  However if I
display the cache directly after setting it the cached value does display.

I've added  define('WP_CACHE', true); to my wp-config.php file and created
the directory wp-content/cache that is writable by the server.

Am I missing something obvious here?  There isn't a lot of recent
information on the caching class

Thanks!

-Brad Williams

@williamsba