[wp-hackers] Some Left-Field names for Canonical Plugins

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Wed Dec 9 16:17:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:
> -Buffed (EQ/BUF): All you WoW players will shout for joy when you come
> across a gold-colored plugin. Finally, you can retire that light green
> Twitter plugin you've been hanging on to for want of something better!

Okay, so if we're using WoW metaphors they would obviously be called
'Epic' plugins. Which IMHO is also a pretty awesome name in reality,
though it applies better to that specific class of plugins like
NextGenGallery or Pods that explode WordPress with new stuff.

I'll also take a second to shit all over 'Premium' and 'Core' as names
for "canonical plugins".

Premium as implied in the poll already has a meaning in WP-land and
its almost diametrically opposed to what the canonical plugins are.
Premium WP stuff is paid and defined by its scarcity. The canonical
plugins will be ever-present and obviously as free as is conceivable.

As far as 'core' goes I think its just plain oxymoronic. Plugins by
their definition are NOT CORE. They are plugins! If we're including
these plugins in core, i.e. in the download .zip file, then maybe it
could work, but it really seems like an unnecessary commitment to call
them as such, and it limits our ability to have them outside the .zip
without looking like fools. Official, Canonical, Blessed, words like
that describe them as plugins. Calling them Core just makes no sense.

p.s. I like 'Official', I think it means almost the exact same thing
as 'Canonical' but in a way that everyone can understand. IMHO
Canonical is also good and has exactly the right meaning. If we call
our documentation wiki 'Codex' haven't we already given up on clarity?
:P

--
Jeremy Clarke | http://jeremyclarke.org
Code and Design | http://globalvoicesonline.org