[wp-hackers] What is the best method to check a theme's dependencies on plugins?

Eric Marden wp at xentek.net
Thu Dec 3 22:54:22 UTC 2009

> I'm working on a theme which is going to be used in conjunction with a
> lot of plugins. So naturally I want to make sure these plugins are all
> active and ready for my theme to use, but I'm not sure about the best
> way to approach this.

Your best bet is to have the theme gracefully degrade if the plugins
aren't available. Using function_exists around functionality that
depends on a plugin. You could have a custom options screen in the
admin with a checklist for each plugin, helping users set up the theme
properly and maybe even use a sticky notice (like akismet does) to
drive users there after theme activation.

- Eric Marden
http://xentek.net/code/wordpress/
tw: @xentek