[wp-hackers] Tiny pach for options-misc.php

Jordi Canals jordi at jcanals.net
Fri Aug 7 00:31:15 UTC 2009

It's not a bug. That's just what standard says, the wilcard is only valid
for one level. A certificate for *.wordpress.org will match
trac.wordpress.org, but will not match core.track.wordpress.org. The bug is
in browsers matching the last one.

This is stated on the RFC 2818, look at page 4:

   Matching is performed using the matching rules specified by
   [RFC2459].  If more than one identity of a given type is present in
   the certificate (e.g., more than one dNSName name, a match in any one
   of the set is considered acceptable.) Names may contain the wildcard
   character * which is considered to match any single domain name
   component or component fragment. E.g., *.a.com matches foo.a.com but
   not bar.foo.a.com. f*.com matches foo.com but not bar.com.

--
Jordi Canals
http://alkivia.org