[wp-hackers] Multiple category boxes / tabs in the Admin Area

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Tue Apr 28 23:11:46 GMT 2009

Unless I misunderstood, I don't think he's trying to define his own
taxonomies. I think he has a large hierarchy within the standard Post
  Categories taxonomy, and he wants to display each top-level category
in its own box on the post edit screen, and also hide the existing
category/tag boxes.

If that is correct, then yes you should create your own with
add_meta_box() in a plugin. Any recent plugin that adds things to the
post edit screen should have some examples, or if all else fails, read
the documentation and try to do something similar:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/add_meta_box

You will want to make sure that when someone selects categories in
your box, it corresponds to the same POST variables getting submitted
as when they use the existing Categories edit section.

Removing the existing tags/categories boxes is easy -- you don't need
a plugin. Just click on "Screen Options" when you are on the Post Edit
screen, and un-check the Tags and Categories boxes.

Good luck!

    --Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com