[wp-hackers] Re: Question about some annoyances I have (Arthur Pemberton)

Ryan Hellyer ryan at pixopoint.com
Mon Apr 27 06:30:04 GMT 2009

I assume the main reason absolute URLs are used is to prevent (or at
least reduce) splogging problems. Sites which use relative URLs are
much more easily copied without any evidence of the original site. By
using absolute URLs, most splogs end up with a whole stack of links
pointing back to the original site, this makes it much easier for
visitors and (more importantly) Google etc. to see that your site is
the original. Of course if a splogger knows what they're doing,
they'll be able to replace all of those URLs dynamically, but this is
generally not the case.

cheers,
Ryan

--