[wp-hackers] "Appearance" vs. "Design"

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Fri Apr 17 22:01:55 GMT 2009

This has been itching the back of my head since the 2.7 redesign, and
I thought it was worth mentioning to the list....

In WordPress 2.7, we reorganized the Admin section menus.  For the
most part, I think this was a good move -- the 2.7 redesign was,
overall, excellent.  However, in the process of moving from "verb"
menus to "noun" menus, we renamed "Design" to "Appearance".  I believe
this was a mistake.  I believe we should revert to "Design".

First, I'll get the obvious out of the way:  "Design" is both a noun
and verb, and thus fits into the new style just fine.

Second --  "Design" is a broader description that better encompasses
the breath of items under it.  For example, Widgets are more than
simply appearance -- they are pieces of information.  I would
certainly say they constitute part of the design of the site, but less
so (strictly speaking) the appearance.

Just a thought.

Stephen