[wp-hackers] Any way to bypass $wp->query_posts()?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Wed Apr 8 00:04:01 GMT 2009

Jennifer,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately just replacing the query doesn't always make sense.

Consider the following hypothetical use case: To display a page of latest Tweets from the site owner's Twitter account. A scheduled task could be called to retrieve tweets from the Twitter API and stored locally as HTML in wp_options table, and then the page displays the tweets by simply echoing the HTML to the browser.  For this use-case (and many similar ones), there is no need to run a query on wp_posts.

Another use case might be to pull users; running a query for posts only to discard the results in order to run a query for users makes little sense to me. A third use-case might be to display a page with a list of categories or tags, i.e. a query on the terms and taxonomy tables. A forth use-case might be to display a page with a list of links.  None of these require running a query in the posts table first.

To solve this dilemma shouldn't be that hard. I'm happy submit a patch, but as there are many ways to do it any of which could address the use cases I mention I'd like to get some input on the best way to do it. I'd rather not have to go through the process of submitting numerous similar patches each with a different approach and then wait to see which ones the core team decides to commit, if any.

-Mike Schinkel
Custom Wordpress Plugins
http://mikeschinkel.com/custom-wordpress-plugins