[wp-hackers] Template revisioning system for WordPress

Nivanka Fonseka fonsekaean at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 10:41:45 GMT 2009

I agree with your point Beau,

this is something which contrasts with my idea, sometimes keeping
revisions on each and every files will make it messy to the users too,
so lets keep a global revision to the whole template. But we can mark
which files are edited just like GIT I think. I am somewhat bias to
GIT when compared with SVN.

Anyway lets keep a global version which will be somewhat easy for the
users. Otherwise they will have to think of each and every file.

Still for this we can use some of the thoughts which I have written in
my proposal, but there will be changes with the logic I proposed.

Regards

Nivanka

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Beau Lebens <beau at dentedreality.com.au> wrote:
>> Yes that is some good point we have raised. Still I am not sure why
>> you suggest to version the entire theme, without just the file which
>> is edited.
>>
>> Now when we normally do websites, we just keep versions of each and
>> every file, one by one. So why cant we use that logic here too?
>
> If you use Subversion, then you're technically keeping revisions of
> the entire site (every time 1 file changes, the global revision number
> increases).
>
> I personally think this makes sense in relation to a theme because the
> theme files all contribute to a single, working (hopefully) theme.
> This means that you'd want to know that *all* files were at some known
> revision because that's when you knew it was all working.
>
> For example:
>
> I have a theme which includes a series of PHP files, some CSS, a file
> full of JavaScript and some images. Let's say I add a new feature, and
> that requires me to modify 1 of my PHP files, add some CSS to my
> style.css, plus modify my JavaScript file to include some new
> functionality.
>
> If each of those files maintains their own revision counts, then I
> need to know that *right now*, it all works. Let's say the revision
> numbers are PHP = 324, CSS = 12, JS = 3.
>
> Now I make some PHP tweaks, doing multiple revisions. PHP file
> revision is now 332.
>
> And some CSS tweaks. CSS revision is now 34
>
> Now I want to roll back to before I made that big change, because it
> turns out it was a bad idea. Which revisions were they again? Did I
> keep track of that? How easy is it to figure out the revision of each
> file involved (or even to make sure I've reverted each file involved)
> to full revert that change?
>
> If you've used decent commit messages (if you even have them, since
> the current Post Revisions system doesn't), then maybe this is a bit
> easier, but hopefully you see my point.
>
> Beau

Nivanka Fonseka