[wp-hackers] [GSoC 2009] A Dynamic Theme Framework and GUI Editor

scribu scribu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 15:52:56 GMT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Daryl Koopersmith <
daryl.koopersmith at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Daryl Koopersmith. I was recently developing the concept of
> a dynamic theme framework and editor for my application to the Google
> SoC when I came upon the "Theme Frameworks" suggestion on the
> WordPress ideas list. I found that this concept fit perfectly into
> both the WordPress infrastructure and philosophy.
>
> A dynamic theme framework and editor would accomplish the following:
>
> — Provide a GUI through which anyone (regardless of skill level) could
> productively edit WordPress themes
> — Allow users to create any layout they choose (and in doing so,
> provide alternatives to the sidebar-content-sidebar paradigm)
> — Allow widgets to be assigned positions and managed visually
> — Optimize theme memory footprint and provide automatic cross-browser
> compatibility
>
> A detailed description of the project is located at
> http://koopersmith.wordpress.com and includes a justification for the
> creation of a theme framework/editor and an outline of its potential
> implementation. I would be happy to discuss any questions and would
> appreciate any feedback you have. Thank you for your time!
>
> Best,
> Daryl

If you manage to pull this off, I'm sure it will be one of the most popular
theme frameworks out there, if it doesn't go directly into core.

I'm assuming that you will have to go beyond what the Blogger platform
currently offers in this respect, especially if you want to "Allow users to
create any layout they choose (and in doing so, provide alternatives to the
sidebar-content-sidebar paradigm)".

Good luck!

--
http://scribu.net