[wp-hackers] GSOC - A Couple of Ideas

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Wed Apr 1 12:45:24 GMT 2009

On Mar 28, 2009, at 2:03 PM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> "Stephen Rider" <wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:
>> My recommendation is that plugin backend interface should be
>> designed to fully integrate with the Admin section, rather
>> than screaming "Hey! I'm a plugin!".  I don't need to be
>> reminded what's a plugin and what's not -- I just want the
>> functionality.
>
> While in general I agree, there is the standard case of "I just
> installed a plugin and I know I did, but now I have no idea where to
> configure it."

Already handled with Action links:
>> ... plugin authors can easily link to their plugin's admin page by
>> adding Action Links from the Manage Plugins screen.  A tutorial
>> here: http://striderweb.com/nerdaphernalia/2008/06/on-plugin-design/

> There is also the case of "I am looking at this site and trying to
> decide what functionality is core and what is a plugin so I can
> decide what I loose if I disable a given plugin."  So there are
> several different ways to look at it.

I gotcha covered.  ;-)  http://striderweb.com/nerdaphernalia/2008/06/give-your-wordpress-plugin-credit/

Some plugins don't *have* their own settings pages, but instead modify
an existing Settings page.  Marking the footer as described also works
in those cases, whereas a "plugin ghetto" doesn't.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/