[wp-hackers] Inline Documentation Effort Updates

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Thu Sep 25 21:36:41 GMT 2008

Jacob Santos wrote:
> The conclusion of the April discussion on how I hate that no one has
> stepped forward to help out on the Inline documentation effort was
> that I would continue and wait to see if anything else happened. This
> is an update of the inline documentation effort and what has happened
> in the four months, since that last thread.
>
> To rehash what the inline documentation effort is, it is to push
> community members into helping out writing inline documentation for
> WordPress in order to complete it quickly or faster than one person
> can accomplish at least. The point also is to ensure that future
> functions are included with inline documentation negating the need for
> another grassroots effort in the future.
>
> Well, happy to say that all but two files in wp-includes directory
> have incomplete documentation. Two people have stepped forward to help
> with the effort in completing both formatting.php (which is a pain, so
> I'm happy I didn't have to work on it) and general-template.php. Scott
> H and Peter Westwood worked on those two files respectively. Not the
> masses I had hoped for, but those two were able to complete a large
> portion of the files, so I think it is all good.
>
> Most of the new functions that are added also have inline
> documentation. Not all, mind you, but enough that I think the effort
> was successful in convincing enough people to put the effort into
> adding inline documentation. Also, the functions that were added
> without inline documentation didn't take more than an hour to complete
> the inline documentation, so I don't think I'm upset about that.
>
> The entire WordPress base directory has complete inline documentation.
> Most of the files in wp-admin has file block level inline
> documentation and all should have file block level inline
> documentation by the time WordPress 2.7 is released. This will mean
> that any PHPXRef site out there will actually have descriptions for
> files on the right hand side. It also means that a lot of the wp-admin
> functions are documented. Not the wp-admin/includes functions.

Thank you jacob for all your hard work!

I have just got my phpdoc sites up and running again and moved them on
to a host with a bit more bandwidth that they had before.

I have added bbPress and BackPress into the mix too.

The root of the site is http://phpdoc.ftwr.co.uk/ and it is set to
automattically update every 30 minutes as things change.

Cheers

westi

--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5