[wp-hackers] Re: Not Feeling Crazyhorse

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Mon Sep 15 12:39:03 GMT 2008

I'd be cool with changing the CSS of the admin area, if it was both
stable and documented. As it is, AFAIK, it is more of a question of
guess work, trial and errors. And not all themes developers (ie.
designers more than coders) want to deal with the Plugin API.
Having a solid way to update/modifiy the CSS has long been a request
of some themes, even more so since the introduction of the
"Fresh/Classic" color schemes. Some altruistic developers build it up,
like James Dimick (
http://www.jamesdimick.com/creations/easy-admin-color-schemes/ ), but
the huge change of 2.7, one could think the core-devs would have used
the "let's start from scratch" admin redesigning as a justification
for going the obvious next step in this matter : at least explicit
admin-CSS, at best an API...

Of course that would mean many many badly-built admin themes, just
like there are a humongous number horribly-built wp themes out there,
but in the end this would allow WP to be shipped with 2 or even 3
admin theme, and that's about enough to make all users happy without
having them scouring the Web for another one. And, obviously, the
happy devs that live by selling custom WP, who'd be able to custom it
even further. All this to say, I don't see anything wrong with this
direction :)

-x.