[wp-hackers] Menus and Labels and Plugins, oh my!

Rich Pedley elflop at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 3 18:10:41 GMT 2008

Stephen Rider wrote:

> There are a lot of plugins that have very minor settings, or (especially)
> are set-and-forget, such as Akismet.  for these, a "consolidated" page with
> settings for multiple plugins would actually be a pretty cool idea.  This
> would drastically reduce the clutter caused by plugins.
>
> However, I have what I think is an even better idea:
>
> It would be _great_ to give plugin authors a way of adding a settings screen
> that does _not_ show up in the menus at all.  I'm sure a whole bunch of
> people just said, "If it's not in the menus, how are people supposed to find
> it?"
>
> Answer:  Give that plugin a "Configure" link in the Actions column of the
> Manage Plugins screen.  Again, this would be GREAT for plugins that you set
> once and then never look at again.  There's no reason for Akismet to
> permanently eat up menu real estate.

Sound in principal, but I for one would tend to look at the settings
section first and then go to the plugins page.

Have a general settings page 'which by default has very little on it'
but allows plugin authors to add sections to it. Single tabbed page
perhaps? that way all the small plugins that only require one or two
settings could be added in there, and the larger ones can still add a
new unique settings page.

--
my mind is on a permanent tangent
http://cms.elfden.co.uk/