[wp-hackers] Proposal: standardize plugin-data path

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Wed Oct 1 19:17:09 GMT 2008

On Oct 1, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Otto wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Stephen Rider wrote:
>> Okay, so we add WP_UPLOADS_URL also.  And/or WP can figure it out
>> automatically by subtracting the web root from WP_UPLOADS_DIR
>
> Still doesn't help, the URL is hard-coded in the post. You'd need to
> add a filter to the_content and search/replace the URL.

Wait... So if I have a blog for a while, and then change the uploads
directory in Settings, the existing media in posts retains the old
location???

That seems really off to me.

>> Which doesn't work in the example I described -- copying the live
>> database
>> to a test setup.  If I have to activate different plugins it
>> complicates
>> things.
>
> Finally, a use for the my-hacks.php file!

Duly noted.  That may actually fix a totally different issue I've
had. :)

Is that support relatively stable, or is it deprecated?  The word
"legacy" sounds like "deprecated" to my ear.

>> A CONSTANT override for the uploads folder is every bit as useful
>> as an override for wp-content, which we already have.  :)
>
> I disagree, it just makes things harder for plugin developers, and
> to no real benefit for anybody else.

Why harder?  If wp_upload_dir() accounts for the change, it should be
no difference to plugin authors using that function.

Regards,
Stephen