[wp-hackers] Accessing jQuery in Core for a plugin

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Nov 10 20:31:18 GMT 2008

wp_enqueue_script('jquery');

It's just that simple. You need to do it before wp_head though.
Preferably on the init action hook.

Alternatively, if your own JS depends on jquery, then you can enqueue
your own script with a dependancy on jquery:
wp_enqueue_script('newscript', plugins_url('yourplugin/newscript.js',
array('jquery'), '1.0' );

See: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_enqueue_script