[wp-hackers] WP 2.7 Screens and translations

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Sun Nov 2 18:18:42 GMT 2008

> Alsoe would like to alert on some issues on translation on the "new post"
> screen, where translated screens disrupt the normal (english) layout. Bear
> in mind that those strings are already the optimistic short version of a
> string that should actually be even longer. I suspect my language (pt) isn't
> even the longest one...
>
> http://www.box.net/shared/oqxd1e1aqz
> and
> http://www.box.net/shared/dki64v666p

Very much agreed. Now that the UI is settling down, I'm afraid it is
not built to cater for obligatory longer words - English can say a lot
with two words, which is not alwyas the case for other languages.

Here are examples for the FR translation I'm working on:
 - Dashboard as always been translated as "Tableau de bord", but the
menu size is to narrow. If we let the string as is, it breaks down the
words:
http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wp27tdb1sx8.png
If we add   between each word, hoping to force the column to be
bigger, it falls back to the next line:
http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wp27tdb2pu0.png
Same for "Commentaires", which cannot be reduced:
http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wp27comm1dj8.png

- The Screen Options section works rather well, be could be improved maybe:
http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wp27optecr1ug8.png

 - The Edit screen Publish section fails, as Jose shows:
draft: http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wp27pubbrouillonwu6.png
pending: http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wp27pubattenteiv3.png

--
Xavier Borderie