[wp-hackers] Trailing Slash on Template Tags

Aaron Brazell emmensetech at gmail.com
Thu May 29 07:27:37 GMT 2008

It is a hit on Apache though. Minor, but Apache needs the slash to determine
file or directory. It's an access time issue.
Say you type in http://wordpress.org/extend

Apache responds by looking for a file called extend. Access point A. It
doesn't find it, so it fails back on directory lookup. Access point B. The
slash just saves Apache some access time and a little work. Neglible on a
small level. Big on scale.

Personally, though, I think the slash at this point is moot for what it
gains us.

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 3:13 AM, Alexander Beutl <xel at netgra.de> wrote:

> > but it's much too late to add it.
>
> try using // instead of / - tell you what - it works the same.
> There is no difference in going to
> http://wordpress.org//download/
> or
> http://wordpress.org/download/
>
> both work perfectly.
>
> So I would say with that it is not to late to change it since this would
> make both possible (hardcoding the / or not).
>
> Ciao
> Alex
>
> 2008/5/29 Viper007Bond <viper at viper007bond.com>:
>
> > I'd agree if the function was new, but it's much too late to add it.
> >
> > On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Chris Poteet <cpoteet at siolon.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Why don't template tags such as bloginfo('template_url') include the
> > > trailing slash?  I mean, it has to be there anyway so why not add it?
> > >

> > --
> > Viper007Bond | http://www.viper007bond.com/ | http://www.finalgear.com/

Aaron Brazell
web:: www.technosailor.com