[wp-hackers] Plugin Settings Menu Location

Alexander Beutl xel at netgra.de
Tue May 20 17:21:39 GMT 2008

> This pretty much sums it up for me. As Jennifer pointed out, the codex does
> have some guidance like this:
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Adding_Administration_Menus but is not as clear
> as this.

Well codex maybe is not as clear as this - but it is very clear about one
point:

Plugins<http://codex.wordpress.org/Administration_Panels#Plugins_-_Add_Functionality_to_your_Blog>
> Displays controls dealing with *plugin management, not configuration*options for a plugin itself.

I think we should stick to this - one shouldn't start changing the way
something should be done - this would just end up in a bigger chaos.

Otto:

> The admin would need to seek trough 10
>>
> different one-time-settings-pages to find the page which would really do
>>
> something with their plugins.
>>

> And the *name* of the pages gives them no clues? I mean, I would not
> expect "Akismet Configuration" or "Timezone Configuration" to be about
> anything other than those plugins...

Yes the name may identify what it does. But you will have to read it first
to know what its about, which takes time and there is a very clear
difference between reading 10 headings and reading 3.

That is reasonable, and it's possible for a plugin to do that, I
> think. Change the redirect after the plugin activation to point to
> your own configuration page.

No it isn't possible AFAIK since the main part of what I thoguht about is :
*Do not generate any menu-items at all for one-time-config and do only put a
link inside the plugin-table.
*If your really think it is possible please be so pleasant to give me some
information about how to add a page to the backend without making it appear
inside the navigational structure... There may be workarounds with only
adding it at special times while I am not convinced this would really work.*
*
This would kill most of what was discussed since nobody wants one-time-stuff
to make any menu unusable -  not the settings one and not the plugins one
(well - there seem to be people who disagree with what I think: There may be
plugins which add something which is usable for managing plugins and those
should have a clean menu as well as the settings, management,... plugins)