[wp-hackers] Plugin Settings Menu Location

Eric Marden wp at xentek.net
Tue May 20 02:04:12 GMT 2008

On May 19, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Charles E. Frees-Melvin wrote:

> Settings Menu Pages: Plugins with setting pages, that may need to be
> changed.
>
> Plug-in Menu Pages: Pages that are a one-time configuration.
>
> Main Menu Pages: Pages that are features used often. e.g. File
> Manager, Podpress
>
> Write Menu Mages: Pages that add content to wordpress.
>
> Manage Menu Pages: Pages the manage content that was addend by the
> last.

This pretty much sums it up for me. As Jennifer pointed out, the codex
does have some guidance like this:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Adding_Administration_Menus but is not as
clear as this. If or when the codex is updated, I think that the names
of actual plugins should be avoided, so as not to create a dependancy
on a particular plugin always being around and/or known by the
developer community.

- e

P.S. - Does the codex require a different login than say the forums on
wordpress.org?