[wp-hackers] Changing the clock format in Write > Post

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Tue May 13 14:58:05 GMT 2008

On May 13, 2008, at 7:44 AM, Alex Hempton-Smith wrote:

> Well, we have yellowish alert boxes, for when Aksimet needs
> configuring etc,
> so why don't we have messages appear after a plugin is activated
> saying:
>
> Thanks for installing the Foo Plugin; you can find this at 'Manage' ->
> 'Foo'.
> <link to page>Go there now?</link>
>
> That way, people know where to find the options page, and the
> plugins can be
> more integrated with the menus as they currently are.

There was an extended discussion about this about a year ago.  I
submitted a patch that allowed a new "management link" header in
plugins so it would show up on the plugins page forf activated
plugins.  I never heard a thing back on it, so I never took it any
further.

http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4498

I hate the idea of dialogs upon activation.  Get out of my face.  I'll
go to management when I want to.

Ultimately, there are two types of settings pages:

1) Pages that you might want to come back to
2) "Set and Forget" pages, e.g. Akismet

I think the idea would be to have an "Options" (or now, "Settings")
link for the first type, and for the second type, maybe a "set up" link.

Settings pages would still be in whatever other menu "Settings" or
"Manage", etc., but there would also be a column in the plugins page
that would have links to those same pages, as appropriate.

For the "set and forget" types, there really only need be a link from
the plugins page itself.  This solves the clutter issue with Settings
pages that really aren't needed after first use.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
<http://striderweb.com/>