[wp-hackers] Re: [wp-pro] Need help installing Wordpress

WordPress wordpress at anekostudios.com
Sat May 10 15:39:21 GMT 2008

Hey all :)

I just wanted to ask a question, so I can be absolutely clear on
this.  I submitted a request yesterday on the wp-pro list about hiring
someone to help with installing WordPress on a IIS system that's
running PHP and MySQL.  I am utterly *amazed* at the response - an
overwhelming majority who did respond said the same thing: install
WordPress on a separate Unix/Linux system and have the links redirect
to the IIS for anything non-WP related.

Am I wrong in believing it's possible to install WordPress on a IIS
server?

I'd never tried it before, but I had always believed that - although
IIS will give some difficulties - you *could* install it on IIS.  (For
the record, I'm no newbie at WP installs - I've just never done it on
IIS before.)

If this is true, and it *can't* be done, can I have a bit of
verification?  I told the client I'm working for (I'm actually
subcontracting for another designer) that you *could* do it, but that
the IIS server would make it really hard to do - which it has been.
I've utterly failed at the task (which is why I submitted to wp-pro),
and the client believes it can be done.  They're now hounding me
because I've been trying to a week and a half to get it installed, and
it's failing utterly- in the most bizarre ways.

So do I need to tell the person I'm working for that if they want
WordPress, they have to switch from IIS?  I always thought it could be
done - but apparently, form what I'm hearing, it cannot.  I'd really
like some verification so I can get moving on this - maybe give them
some other options rather than ramming my head against this wall
trying to get it to work.

Thanks!

~Shelly