[wp-hackers] Plugins and supporting old versions of WordPress

Alexander Beutl xel at netgra.de
Thu May 8 13:18:00 GMT 2008

>  2.0 will be maintained until 2010 [1].
>
>  [1] http://wordpress.org/download/legacy/

And users of 2.2.x could easily downgrade - right?

Yay...

Back to topic:
I'd say let them use the old versions and make new versions use whatever you
need - there is no reason for doing more work for old versions *as long as
there are no security risks* - if there are you can try fixing them and
provide a fixed version with no additional features. There is no need to go
and add new power to outdated stuff but to keep it secure would really be
sympatic.

And yes there are reasons for *not* upgrading - at least if youre running a
multi lingual blog... where the plugin is complicated and will take some
time to be updated to fit the new version...
Multi lingual blogging is great but it is really really bitchy on WordPress
- especially WP2.5.
Belive me - I tried it out and got something running but am not anywhere
near being satisfied.

I created a way to run an unlimited amount blogs with one installation and
one (or more) database (but different db prefix) now by only changing
wp-config.php and adding a folder plus .htaccess per language... but this
isn't really nice since it requires me to do each post 1 time per
language... which is obviously better then maintaining two installation and
the URLs are really pretty, but it isn't nice anyway.