[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: Multiple RDBMS support

Olexandr Melnyk omelnyk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 14:09:47 GMT 2008

On 3/31/08, Jacob Santos <wordpress at santosj.name> wrote:

> I do like the fluid chaining. I use it in a current project with decent
> enough results.

Could you elborate on what you mean by "fluid chaining"?

It also sounds like your be reinventing the wheel. However, I do suggest
> you look at the Zend Framework and the DB component to see how they do
> it. You might not learn anything you don't already know, but it would be
> interesting, since they are basically reinventing the wheel also.

> However, I like Alex said, this probably will not be accepted, because
> it will have to support PHP4.3 which is a requirement of WordPress at
> this moment and in order to do a Google Summer of Code project for
> WordPress, it will have to support PHP4.3. Also, it is not probable that
> your project will be included into the core.

Is there anything technical that would stop it from being included as long
as WPDB interface remains backwards-compatible, with several methods added,
and if existing plugins will (at least) remain working with MySQL?

If you start coding it now, then by the time PHP5 is the minimum
> requirement, then you'll already have your project finished or mostly
> finished.

The point here is to introduce database abstraction transparently
without growing WordPress' minimum requirements and breaking existing
plugins.

We could probably reuse database abstraction layer code from CakePHP, which
supports PHP 4.

Best regards, as a programmer, it does sound extremely fascinating,
> because it is not a project I would do myself (probably use an existing
> framework myself).

Thanks

--
Sincerely yours,