[wp-hackers] ref parameters and fake url

Aaron D. Campbell aaron at xavisys.com
Wed Mar 26 17:59:47 GMT 2008

I feel like there is a communication problem here. However, as far as I
can tell (and I looked through the code), WordPress does NOT use the
'ref' URL parameter. However, some plugins DO use it. For example,
Firestats will use it as the referrer if it is present. This actually
surprised me a little, because it opens firestats up to referrer spam.
Basically, worst case scenario, you could have "recent referrers" linked
to on your site (using FireStats), and these people could get a link.
However, you shouldn't be doing this anyway.

In any case, since WordPress doesn't use it, you would be safe to use
something like .htaccess to correct the URLs and pass a 301. Just keep
in mind that while WordPress will still work fine, some plugins may not.