[wp-hackers] Categories _contra_ tags

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi computerguru at neosmart.net
Mon Mar 24 08:30:02 GMT 2008

> I was totally seduced by having both. And then realized that /nothing/
> was operational.
>
> Why both a Category and a Tag instead of 2 tags?

My method:
Categories define site content. You can design entire sections of a site by them.
Tags specify what content is contained in the category.

For instance, on my blog I would
Categories: "Business, Software, Hardware, Programming"
Tags: "Intel, Microsoft, Linux, Windows, iPod, C#, PHP, WordPress, Automattic"

If Automattic buys Movable Type, I'd categorize it as business and tag it as Automattic and WordPress.

It's a fine line, and like has been said here and off-list many times; entirely up to the user.

> Why both a Category and a Tag instead of 2 tags?

Why not 2 categories instead?
What was it about Tags that WordPress's categories just didn't offer? After all, there WAS a lot of user-experience missing without the tags, so what is it that they added that made it so much better?

Answer that, and you'll have your answer.

-MQ