[wp-hackers] Caching in core? (was: Caching in 2.5: anyone has a file-based caching plugin?)

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi computerguru at neosmart.net
Sun Mar 23 16:14:36 GMT 2008

> It wouldn't be too difficult to write an db-object-cache.php that
> would serialize objects and put them into the database. Another way to
> do it is to store snippets of HTML, from comments, posts and the like.
>
> Actually - caching can (should?) be integrated into the core, as
> suggested by the "Integrated Caching Solutions" gsoc idea. Right now,
> it consists of dumping files here and there. Instead, WP could ship
> with 1) an admin interface (under "Settings") to enable/disable
> caching, select caching type (db, memcached, etc) and configure these
> caches; 2) a default caching mechanism - most likely, a db-backed one.
>
> Caching, I think, is a fairly crucial component of WP. A default
> caching method would raise the traffic a vanilla WP blog can take. I
> suppose there could also be a more official structure for all the
> plugins out there to plug into (pun not intended) - not just the the
> object cache as is now, but also an admin interface.
>
> Is this worth pursuing?

With regards to the database-based caching... it's hardly worth a project.
It would take all of an hour to make and test a db-based caching solution (like that used in vBulletin), and simply adding it to wp-includes/cache.php (for the core) or as an extension to the core-caching feature by sticking it in wp-content/object-cache.php.....

It's already controlled by the presence of DEFINEs in wp-config.php; but it can easily be switched to an admin-center option.

/me mulls it over.

Anyway, all this talk has got me convinced that a line of code is worth a thousand painted pictures; so I'll see what I can draft up real quick.

-MQ