[wp-hackers] GSoC 2008 Proposal: Core OpenID Support

Ronald Heft ron at cavemonkey50.com
Tue Mar 18 20:47:44 GMT 2008

Excellent points, Lloyd. However, I tend to look at this from a different
viewpoint.
While a blog administrator can take advantage of OpenID by installing a
plugin, not many do. The mass majority of WordPress blogs do not have any
OpenID support, and that disadvantages the OpenID user. An OpenID user can
not install OpenID on any blog they wish; that option is up to the blog
administrator. So, if I come across Joe's Blog and I want to comment, my
option of using OpenID is limited to if Joe installed a completely optional
plugin. By having OpenID support built right into WordPress, the number of
OpenID capable WordPress blogs would skyrocket.

And while yes, the spam argument is kind of moot, and most websites do not
require registration, the websites that do are a pain to deal with. I would
much rather enter in my OpenID then go through the whole registration
process.