[wp-hackers] Admin font support to reflect all major platforms

Chetan Kunte ckunte at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:28:43 GMT 2008

Typography chosen for the Wordpress admin appears to be heavily
leaning towards Mac users. I'd love to see better support for other
platforms too:

On Sans-serif type:

In the file: /wp-admin/css/global.css?version=2.5-RC1

I see the following:

font: 13px "Lucida Grande", "Lucida Sans Unicode", Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif;

While it looks great on a Mac, I wish it were like this:

font: 13px "Lucida Grande", "Bitstream Vera Sans", Calibri, Verdana,
sans-serif; (==> Mac, Linux, Windows, and everyone else.)

(This would support Ubuntu and Vista along with the Mac; I know
Calibri has a size issue---may be we could adjust its size in
percentage?---just bouncing off ideas; Again, I'm choosing the font
that would look best in a given platform, rather than looking for the
exact look-alike.)

"Lucida Sans Unicode" and Tahoma are illspaced and edgy (in Windows at
least), and therefore should be dropped from using---my opinion.

There are also a number of excellent platform wise mono-spaced fonts:

Monaco (Mac), Consolas (Windows Vista), "Bitream Vera Sans Mono"
(Ubuntu), Monospace, "Courier New" (Windows XP, 2000, 98).

Could these be used---in that order---to define permalink url below
the title, and/or in the text area?
--
Chetan, ckunte.com