[wp-hackers] Probably best to move tickets to 2.7 instead

Mr. Awesome theone.andonly.mr.awesome at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 02:53:38 GMT 2008

I brought this up before... I'll say it again...

a) If there's tickets there, like... simpler tickets.. either commit
them, or forget them. Plain and simple. It shouldn't take 5 years to
decide IF one should go in or not...and it shouldn't be constantly
pushed to next "future release trunks" either. Flip a coin as to what ya
wanna do with it. Done.

Examples:
http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5477
http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5887
http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5623
http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5248
http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4860

Of course the above are examples only. I know a couple didn't have
patches with them, but still...As for the admin/ design related stuff
from the previous admin design / setup ... I'd scrap those tickets...
I'm assuming from 2.5 on out, the NEW design is going to be there, so
really there's no need to have tickets lingering around from the
previous admin redesign before the 2.5 version started...

b) Maybe make a new "commit team" or whatever.... that DOES ONLY that
type of job. Job being, goes through them all, decides to keep them or
heap them. Maybe even commit them as well. Of course, that "team" should
be on constant communication with the Lead Devs and such.

We have a testers list, with tons of testers testing on daily basis. If
the simpler tickets get committed, "we" (testers) can test them ASAP and
report back with results. IMHO, it's not really going to cause more
problems... some of those tickets are simple ones. If something does go
wrong, "we" could report it and I'm sure someone could provide a quick
"fix" for it as well. Hence having the WP-TESTERS right here....

c) Maybe make a "wp-patches" email list. People that spend alot of time
testing and or in Trac itself... could join that list, send through the
list tickets / patches that are up for voting as to what to do with
it...? For example: Jacob finds 5 tickets lingering in Trac that have
been there for years or months...

The others on the email list views those tickets... then reports back
through list... "KEEP or HEAP". Perhaps having a list of users for just
THAT would help better? It sure beats having to cast votes within
comments on EVERY SINGLE TICKET on the Trac site... That team could come
to a decision on each ticket's fate.

Heck, if there's some in there that need a little more LOVE, then
perhaps that team can come up with better fixes, and have it for testing
faster too... I don't know though, just throwing out my thoughts,
opinions and suggestions... :P