[wp-hackers] Probably best to move tickets to 2.7 instead

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Sun Mar 9 23:12:40 GMT 2008

Andy Skelton wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 3:54 AM, Jacob Santos <wordpress at santosj.name> wrote:
>
>>  Is that good or would it be just plain terrible to move that many
>>  tickets out of 2.6 and put them into 2.7? 2.6 is most likely going to
>>  have 700+ open tickets. That will be a lot of fun.
>>

> The time might be better spent on making patches, but that's my bias as a coder.
>
> Andy

Actually, my bias a WordPress user who has read about regressions on
this list and on WordPress Trac tells me that there should be test cases
for each of those tickets to prevent regressions and to accurately prove
that the code defects and enhancements actually work.

However, if I was part of the core commit team, I would much rather
spend my time trying to get the tickets that current have patches into
the core or the ones that are stale to be updated to get into the core.
One of the disadvantages of committing phpdoc documentation is that many
of the patches that depended on the source before the phpdoc would have
gone stale. I apologize, but I do think it was worth it. Also, not that
many were affected it seems.

If I was part of the core commit team, I would much rather close out
tickets which have no hope of ever getting into the core, so that
community members don't waste their valuable time providing patches and
support for those (few) tickets.

If you are trying to bring out the coder side of me to help provide
tickets, then I'll have to say that the school part of me which wants to
graduate wants me to relay a message, "It will have to wait until May."
When that time comes, I'll be happy to take you up on your suggestion,
but most likely it will be in the form of writing test cases and then
patches. I'm sure a professional can at least appreciate that.

Happy Hunting is all I have to say.

--

Jacob Santos

http://www.santosj.name - blog
http://funcdoc.wordpress.com - WordPress Documentation Blog/Guide Licensed under GPLv2

Also known as darkdragon and santosj on WP trac.