[wp-hackers] Re: Streamlining Includes

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Mar 3 07:08:36 GMT 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Jacob Santos <wordpress at santosj.name> wrote:
>  This system also totally circumvents opcode caches like APC.

Not totally, but some parts are circumvented.  Top loading is
definitely faster than conditional loading with APC.  Most people
don't have any sort of opcode cache, however.  Not loading and
interpreting a bunch of stuff will be faster for them, even given the
overhead of conditional loading.  At least my half-assed profiling
awhile back suggested it is faster.  Better profiling is needed for
anything we decide to do, and we need to take into account operating
both with and without an opcode cache.

Some interesting links discussing conditional loading and caching:

http://pooteeweet.org/blog/538
http://marc.info/?l=pecl-dev&m=116505905429984&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=pecl-dev&m=116512075914909&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=pecl-dev&m=116517663120391&w=2