[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: Integrate WP-cache / WP Super Cache into WordPress

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 15:41:02 GMT 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Andy Skelton <skeltoac at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Computer Guru <computerguru at neosmart.net> wrote:
>  >  I understand the difficulties of making flexible-yet-well-performing
>  >  code. I know the tradeoffs between hard-coding stuff and having good
>  >  page-load-times. But at the end of the day, /caching is NOT
>  >  WordPress's biggest problem/, rather loading too many files at once,
>  >  using way more nested loops than it should, and not skipping certain
>  >  sections of the code when it can are what's responsible for WP's
>  >  "legendary" fear of the /. effect.
>
>  These are good points. The software could make better performance
>  decisions early in the script. Can you work your ideas into a core
>  patch?

Failing that maybe Computer Guru you would be interested in mentoring
a student in that or a related project?

It sounds similar to a couple of project ideas Matt included last
year, but that we didn't have a student for:
* A testing suite that measures performance of various components and
can be regularly run against new code.
* Currently WP loads all its code on every page, could a selective
code loading scheme improve performance in a meaningful way?

http://codex.wordpress.org/GSoC2008

Thank you,
--
Lloyd Budd | Digital Entomologist | | Skype:foolswisdom
WordPress.com | WordPress.org | Automattic.com