[wp-hackers] Plugin Name Collisions

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Sun Jun 22 07:27:25 GMT 2008

The plugin updater notification works on a variety of items, It attempts
to match Plugin Name, Plugin Author, Plugin URL, and also the filename
(all AFAIK). There isnt really much of a published set of rules which can
be used, Only a handful of people have seen the code behind it (I'm not
one, so i'm only going off what i know).
There have been a few times when people have mentioned about the wrong
plugin being picked up, its allways the plugin URL, I believe it works on
the plugin URL & Author to determine it when the plugin has been renamed
for some reason..
I personally allways add a ?plugin=test1 to my generic plugin URL if i do
not have a published plugin page for it yet.

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 13:28:19 +1000, Jacob Santos <wordpress at santosj.name>
wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> That is fascinating to me, because I had thought that it depended on the
> name. It has been a long time, since I was last informed about the
> plugin updater. If that is the case, then it is not documented and could
> also be a bug. Should ping wp-testers and will do so after I try
> something.
>
> Jacob Santos
>
> Aaron Harun wrote:
>> I've noticed that this happens to me when plugins have the same plugin
>> URL and plugin author. I have a lot of unreleased plugins that WP
>> keeps trying to have me upgrade thinking that they are one of my
>> released plugins.
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Jacob Santos <wordpress at santosj.name>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have two plugins, one is named "Performance Testing" (changed to
>>> Performance Benchmark Testing), which is conflicting with the "Memory
>>> Increase" plugin.
>>>
>>> This should not happen and I'm not sure what the reason this is
>>> happening
>>> is. It not comforting to have WordPress say it will upgrade the plugin