[wp-hackers] WP_SITEURL and db update

Viper007Bond viper at viper007bond.com
Tue Jul 29 13:22:29 GMT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 6:05 AM, Stefano Aglietti <steagl4ml at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 05:20:08 -0700, Viper007Bond
> <viper at viper007bond.com> wrote:
>
> >What does it matter what the value in the database is? You shouldn't be
> >manually querying, so it won't affect you.
>
> Would be usefull for end users that mess up with paths and url in the
> admin panel, this solve the problem but if it force tha value would be
> an easy alternative that editing DB using phpmyadmin.

I disagree. If I need to temporarily change the path of my install, I can do
it via the config file. Plus what about the people doing crazy installs like
dynamic install URLs?

If you want the database different, then change the database.

> >I use this exact feature so I can use a copy of a live site's database on
> my
> >local test machine without editing the database. It works 100% perfectly
> >fine even though the values in the database are "wrong".
>
> I'm using this features for long time too for my llocals site ahta are
> copy of online ones. My question is about the correctness of codex and
> for really basic not geek users (this problem happens 3 4 times a
> month on italian forum :) )

If the Codex is incorrect, then fix it. It is a user-written wiki afterall.
It's written by people just like you and therefore it's not guaranteed to be
correct and it's up to people like you to fix it. :)

--
Viper007Bond | http://www.viper007bond.com/ | http://www.finalgear.com/