[wp-hackers] uploading and attaching images via plugin

AndreSC andre at pixelplexus.co.za
Sat Jul 26 17:53:16 GMT 2008

Hi Guys

I've been building a plugin (aDirectoryManager) that 'composes' posts
from a custom admin forms and then creates posts from the input  -
basically to standardise format of layout and apply some rules to
categorization and tagging of the resulting posts - nice results so far
but still some ways to go before it'll be ready for release.

One issue that has been confounding me is the best way to deal with
images (given that again the idea is all about highly structured and
pre-determined format and lay-out). Should I build a separate *simple*
uploader and use |wp_insert_attachment at time of 'exporting the post'
|- or somehow use the wordpress system at data entry time - if so, would
it allow programatically modifying settings for individual attachments
etc.- if the latter makes more sense then how - at a glance I don't see
much in terms of documentation.

Not sure I've articulated what I'm after very well but any pointers
would be appreciated.

Thanx

André

PS. wow, i managed to write all that without writing 'as aCMS' :)