[wp-hackers] load_plugin_textdomain()

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Sat Jul 26 04:04:20 GMT 2008

On Jul 25, 2008, at 7:32 PM, Nikolay Bachiyski wrote:

> We will keep it just until 2.7. After that both argument will do what
> the third one does now. And after 2.8 we will keep only the second
> one.
>
> Unfortunately there are too many plugins out there and we can't make
> an abrupt transition. In our case, we can't afford make all plugin
> translations to stop working.

?????  A half-assed transition is far worse than a straightforward
one.  Transitioning to a different function will work the same as any
number of existing transitions that have happened already with
WordPress.

There is absolutely no purpose to changing the way the second
parameter of that same function works.  Any old plugins that are still
using the function will suddenly break.  The only possible outcome of
that is confusion.

When the change does happen, it will be a _lot_ easier for authors to
figure out that a function no longer exists, than that it exists but
works slightly differently than it used to.

> we can't afford make all plugin translations to stop working.

That's _exactly_ what you're going to do when you subtly change the
way an existing function works in a way that breaks existing
implementations.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider