[wp-hackers] load_plugin_textdomain()

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Sat Jul 26 00:58:06 GMT 2008

Sorry, but the solution you just outlined will *not* help plugin
developers avoid an abrupt transition.

Right now, you can make a plugin be compatible with both older and
newer versions of load_plugin_text_domain, by including both
arguments. Odd, but it works.

But if you what you describe below, it will no longer be possible to
use the same function call and have it work in pre-2.8 as well as 2.8,
and all plugins that haven't been updated to 2.8 will immediately
break. Unless I am mistaken? If so, can you include a code sample of
how to make it work with 2.8 and also 2.7? Not to mention 2.0, 2.1?
(without doing version_compare, which I think is a messy cop-out)

Assuming I am not wrong about this, I agree with Omry and Stephen and
others. You should make a totally new function with a different name,
deprecate the old one, and eventually eliminate it, as has been done
with lots of other WordPress functions.

And I don't want to start a discussion about whether plugin developers
should support old versions of WordPress. Please.

     --Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com

Drupal/WordPress Sites, Themes, Modules/Plugins
Custom Web Programming, Web Databases
PHP, Perl, MySQL, JavaScript, XML, AJAX