[wp-hackers] Update your copyright notices today!

Matt Patenaude MattPat at mattpat.net
Wed Jan 2 01:29:46 GMT 2008

I'd like to propose a reasonable-sounding solution so that everyone
stops arguing and we enjoy 2008:

Anything that anyone creates is copyrightable, and indeed, as soon as
something is created, the creator owns the copyrights to that entity.

It would then be a reasonable jump to assume that a copyright date is
actually a span of dates-- from the time the first letter of a work is
put down, to the time the last letter is put down. This is likely why
copyright dates are always shown as years: it gets very messy to do
otherwise.

Let's consider a blog a work as a whole, a work that is always in
development. It would stand to reason that, while each post on a blog
has its own individual copyright date, the work as a whole has a
copyright date that ranges from the starting copyright date of the
first post, to the ending copyright date of the last post. Thus, for a
blog I started in 2005, I would use a copyright message of "Copyright
(C) 2005 - 2008 Matt Patenaude," provided that I had made a post in
2008. Technically, until I make that first post of 2008, the copyright
date should stay at 2007.

I'd suggest that this is where the convention comes from: since the
blog as a whole is a work that is still in development in the present
year, when it becomes a new year, it's perfectly acceptable to move
the copyright date forward. If the blog were no longer maintained,
this would of course be inappropriate, but as "creation" is still
occurring, the copyright date is not finalized.

IANAL, but I believe that that ^^ would stand up in court.

Now, let's stop fighting. :)

-Matt