[wp-hackers] Adding custom buttons to TinyMCE v3.x

Viper007Bond viper at viper007bond.com
Fri Feb 29 02:21:32 GMT 2008

On 2/28/08, Andrew Ozz <admin at laptoptips.ca> wrote:

> Viper007Bond wrote:
> > So, anyone have any documentation on adding custom buttons to TinyMCE 3?
> >
> > I'm looking to update my plugin (
> > http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/vipers-video-quicktags/ ) to support
> the
> > next release of WordPress.
>

> I hate to break it to you but TMCE 3 supports adding most video directly
> using the "Media" button (on the second row). Pasting the object tag in
> HTML mode works good too.

Well, not everyone uses TinyMCE (I personally _hate_ the thing and
physically delete it from all my non-dev installs), plus last I looked, you
couldn't use it to embed YouTube, etc. into posts. Copy/pasting from YouTube
itself has always worked, but it'll break your page validation due to
<embed>, you have to click to activate in IE, etc.

I'll probably drop support for embedding actual video files via my plugin
through TinyMCE though as getting them to work is/was a HUGE pain. More than
happy to let TinyMCE take care of that.

[snip]

> Wow what a long email, I'll probably have to add this to the codex. Let
> me know if you have more questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks a ton. A lot to read and I'm not that good with TinyMCE, but it's
sure a huge help.

--
Viper007Bond | http://www.viper007bond.com/ | http://www.finalgear.com/