[wp-hackers] Google Summer of Code 2008

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 16:51:44 GMT 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 2:07 AM, Peter Westwood
<peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk> wrote:

>  ~From my experience last year I think we would do better to have a set of
>  front line mentors with a student each and then a number of backup
>  mentors for the students to refer to when the primary mentor is
>  busy/unavailable.

A backup mentor is a great idea, or if two mentors are passionate
about the same project then co-owning a project would seem like a
great approach as well.

>  We also need to centralise the reporting and feedback a bit more

I don't think that was a problem, the problem if there was one, was
mentors not following up on missed reports or other commitments.
Sometimes this was a result of the mentor not having enough time, or
not being comfortable with playing the role of a manager / boss.

http://groups.google.com/group/wordpress-soc-2007/ was the
centralised, public place for reporting, feedback and collaboration.

>  and  ensure the students get involved in the community :-)

I think this really comes down to the relationship between the mentors
and the students. The mentors are WordPress' ambassadors to the
student, and play the most important role in introducing the student
to our family and the cornucopia of WordPress projects. It is also ok
if a student only particpates in GSoC. I remember what it was like
being a student and also trying to juggle work and other commitments.

I am adding a requirement this year, that student applicants also
write a blog post (using WordPress) about their application ;-)

>  I am will to Mentor again this year - I would prefer to be a backup
>  mentor this year though as I will be out of touch for part of the active
>  program period and around the time of the mid-term evaluation

For those willing, even as  co-menter or backup, I invite you to add
your information and your project ideas to
http://codex.wordpress.org/GSoC2008

> I am  getting married in June and then off on Honeymoon :-)

Such exciting wonderful news!

Thanks,
Lloyd