[wp-hackers] Google Summer of Code 2008

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 22:43:16 GMT 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Ronald Heft <ron at cavemonkey50.com> wrote:
> Mário, there was a SoC project last year focusing on creating a template
>  system not using PHP. I'm not sure whatever came out of it, but it obviously
>  didn't make core or into a plugin.

> Perhaps someone could pick up where last
>  year's student left off and continue the project.

Keith Bowes' Easier template tags, mentored by Andy Skelton
It seems he has continued to work on it as well, and calls it Renard.
http://kechjo.cogia.net/blogo/2007/09/09/renard/

>  Dan, while I do think your idea is a great one, I just wanted to let you
>  know that was my proposal last year and it was rejected.

Ronald, your proposal wasn't rejected because of the idea.

>  On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Mário Gamito <gamito at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > As far as I can tell from WP's code, what it *really* needs right now
>  > for starters is to separate code from contents from presentation.

And how is that?

>  > PHP mixed with HTML is a Bad Thing (TM).
>  >
>  > Smarty anyone ?

We need an http://codex.wordpress.org/FAQ_Developer_Documentation on
MVC, Smarty, etc. Similar topics have been raised countless times on
this list, and the response is consistently that a pragmatic, organic,
evolutionary solution to real problems is always welcome, but the
programming pattern du jour because of its theoretical beauty will be
ignored. Abstraction and isolation have both costs and benefits. I'm
not a programmer so I may have got that wrong ;-)

Now, back to the topic du jour. Who will be a mentor?

Hope that helps,
--
Lloyd Budd | Digital Entomologist | | Skype:foolswisdom
WordPress.com | WordPress.org | Automattic.com