[wp-hackers] Re: 2.5 admin menu thoughts

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Tue Feb 26 18:29:15 GMT 2008

On Feb 26, 2008, at 12:03 PM, Ozh wrote:

> I've just spotted another... say, "oddity", in the menus :
>
> - by default and as usual, the top-level "Write" links to
> post-new.php, and toplevel "Manage" links to edit.php, which is
> obviously fine
> - Go to "Write" : "Manage" stills links to edit.php
> - Now go to "Write" then "Page" : "Manage" now links to edit-pages.php
> - Now go to "Write" then "Link" : "Manage" links to... edit.php

Good catch.  I think the changing links actually works (that is, if
I'm on "Write Page", the top level Manage link goes to "Manage
Pages"), but Only If It's Consistent!

If I'm on "Write->Link", the Manage link should go to "Manage-
 >Links".  same with the reverse.

> So basically, a link with the same anchor text can send to different
> location, which is IMHO a first usability mistake

Usually I'm right with you on this type of thing, but I must
respectfully disagree.  Here I think it _really_ does work.  If I'm
working on Pages, I stay with Pages by default.  That makes a lot of
sense.

The design is thinking more along the lines of "application flow"
instead of "web site".  Don't think "navigation" so much as
"function".  :)

> second usability mistake-- this behavior is not even consistent (I
> would have sort of expected that when on "Write : Link" the "Manage"
> link sends to the actual "Manage Links" page, not the "Manage Posts"
> page).

_That_ should be fixed.  Links should follow the same Write/Manage
pattern as Posts and Pages.

Regards,
Stephen