[wp-hackers] Google Summer of Code 2008

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Tue Feb 26 13:44:08 GMT 2008

Lloyd Budd wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Ronald Heft <ron at cavemonkey50.com> wrote:
>
>> I noticed that today Google announced they will be running the Summer of
>>  Code again in 2008: http://code.google.com/soc/2008/. Does WordPress plan
>>  on applying to participate again this year? I hope so. I'm really looking
>>  forward to this year's Summer of Code and hope to improve upon last year.
>>

> Most definitely. It is *completely* dependent on people volunteering
> to mentor though -- and hopefully less strong arming from me this year
> ;-)
>
> If you are interesting in volunteering as a mentor please share with
> us in this thread your interest and for now just the broad area of
> expertise / interest for mentoring.
>

> Thank you,

Well, to answer your original question, I can be a mentor if not enough
are going to be.

Some areas I can probably mentor in

XML (DOM specifically and DOMXML)
Inline Documentation
Test Cases for Automated Testing Suites
jQuery and JavaScript in general
HTTP
OOP

I have various lengths of experience with the above, but know enough to
"wing it" in many cases. I'm probably strongest in XML, since I've had
many projects which used the PHP extensions. Inline documentation is not
so difficult and is pretty straightforward.. I'm just an egg when it
comes to the true art and beauty of writing test cases, but I have
enough experience to understand the concepts.

JavaScript is not so difficult (sometimes) and jQuery is very easy to
work with. HTTP is straightforward, so once you understand the protocol,
it is fairly easy after that. I've been working with OOP for 4 years and
I'm still don't know enough.

Topics that interest me: Automated Testing, XML, and Inline
Documentation. However, I can pretty much do anything with exceptions.

--

Jacob Santos

http://www.santosj.name - blog
http://funcdoc.wordpress.com - WordPress Documentation Blog/Guide Licensed under GPLv2

Also known as darkdragon and santosj on WP trac.