[wp-hackers] Turn off blog/ Pure CMS?

Paul Menard paul at codehooligans.com
Thu Feb 21 14:57:16 GMT 2008

On Feb 20, 2008, at 11:49 PM, Jeremy Visser wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 16:25 -0600, Stephen Rider wrote:
>> Is there any way to essentially turn off the blog features of
>> WordPress and use it as a pure CMS?
>
> I do this exact thing at: http://tinyurl.com/2dtqrq [1]
>
>> Essentially, Turn off Posts and just have Pages ?
>
> No need. You just don't use the features. If you go to the above URL,
> you will find absolutely _no_ evidence that the site uses a blogging
> engine, apart from the WordPress generator tag.
>
>> I know you could easily "hide" it by setting the blog page to
>> something different -- but how would we make it be "not there".
>
> Well, you could always hack the global $menu and remove the Write Post
> and Manage Posts pages from the admin. Of course, it's a little more
> complicated than that, but it could be done.
>
> Unless, of course, you're intending to strip the blogging
> functionality
> out of WordPress entirely. Eek. I wouldn't attempt that if you paid
> me.
>
> [1] Don't want to vandalise the search results. ;)

I agree with everyone else, if you don't want to use the 'blogging'
features then just don't user them. Meaning your site does not need to
look like a blog site. I mostly create non-blog sites for clients and
have done so for the last 2 years using WordPress. These sites are
generally build out using Pages in some hierarchy. But don't sell the
'blogging' aspect of WordPress short. Even on these non-traditional
site the client still has the need to post news, press items or
events. This is handled perfectly by the chronological Post side of
the WordPress engine.

Here are some example:

http://acbushnell.com
http://thrillsfromthegrill.com/
http://davidshanks.com/
http://www.eia-usa.org
http://www.intelligentfirstaid.com/
http://www.southernstudio.com/

As for actually hiding the blogging menu items in the WordPress admin
area I think there are a handful of plugins that will actually allow
you to disable. One for example is clutter-free  http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/clutter-free/
. Another is the roles plugin that can be used.

Paul Menard
paul at codehooligans.com
http://codehooligans.com