[wp-hackers] Codex function page proposal

Gaarai gaarai at gaarai.com
Sun Dec 28 12:51:35 GMT 2008

Thanks for adding your thoughts Brian and Dave. I've been pondering the
same things, but I wanted to see if anyone else was thinking along these
lines.

While a merging by links between PHPdoc and the Codex may be the best
solution with everything being the way it is, I wonder why we shouldn't
just go "back to the drawing board" and think about a way to do this
better. I believe that we (Brian, Dave, and myself) all agree that
having a single repository of information in a consistent format is of
far greater value than two cross-linked systems with different formats,
different content, and different target audiences.

That said, Jacob said that the PHPdoc output could be modified. I'd like
to request more information about that from Jacob before I start
dreaming up solutions for the Codex again.

    * Does the output use a template system allowing the output to look
      like anything?
    * Do you know of any consistency issues with the inline
      documentation as it is now? In other words, has there been a way
      to ensure that all changes to the inline documentation are in the
      same consistent format?
    * What is the current state of the inline documentation format? Is
      the current format of the inline documentation exactly what you
      intended, or is it a work in process which needs more work to
      fully implement what you desire for it to have? I'm not asking
      about depth of content, I'm only asking about the format of the
      content.
    * What can we do to help you get the PHPdoc to an ideal state?

Chris Jean
http://gaarai.com/
http://wp-roadmap.com/