[wp-hackers] custom taxonomies

andré renaut andre.renaut at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 12:59:59 GMT 2008

Hi there,

Sorry, i did not read all the message related to this object (custom
taxonomies) but want to share my experience as a plugin developper.

For the plugin MailPress, i created my own taxonomy (mailing lists) based on
the code of the category taxonomy.
I had to duplicate and adapt most of the code related to the taxonomy
management :

* wp-admin/categories.php
* wp-admin/edit-category-form.php
* wp-admin/includes/taxonomy.php
* wp-admin/includes/template.php
* wp-includes/category.php
* wp-includes/category-template.php

and found that creating a term with the same slug than another term in
another taxonomy can give curious results !

so i had to use wp filters such as : 'pre_term_slug', 'edit_term_slug',
'term_slug_rss', 'term_slug'.

As far as i understand,
for the next wp releases (see
http://codex.wordpress.org/Version_2.7#Features_That_Didn.27t_Make_It),
taxonomies will use the new
"MPTT<http://codex.wordpress.org/index.php?title=MPTT&action=edit>for
hierarchies"

I hope that with that new approach and a more OO development, creating a
taxonomy from scratch will become easier.