[wp-hackers] Serializer for XML (was: Re: [automattic] False Marketing)

Geoffrey Sneddon foolistbar at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 15 22:29:45 GMT 2008

+ wp-hackers; - www-archive — time to throw this over to a more
specific list.

Brief summary: this comes after discussing the short comings of the
design of WXR's input/output in WP (and whether it can ever really
cope with XML), and myself (implicitly) volunteering to write an XML
serializer for PHP 4.

On 15 Dec 2008, at 12:06, Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
>> Is there any interest in moving over to a fully fledged XML
>> serializer (which would at the very least mean any XML conformance
>> bug would be in one place)?
>
> For output that sounds fine.

On the subject of an XML serializer, does anyone have much opinion on
whether it should be streaming or whether it should have a whole tree
(the latter is inevitably more complex, and brings up the question of
how to interact with the tree, and I really don't want to implement
DOM in PHP)? I'd argue for the sake of performance that it should be
streaming, simply because trying to write any tree structure in PHP
will be far too expensive. It would, however, be interesting to see
whether using DOM internally on PHP 5 would be worthwhile in terms of
performance.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>