[wp-hackers] OT: still using external gallery?

Matt Martz matt at sivel.net
Sun Dec 14 15:36:44 GMT 2008

> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Ozh <ozh at planetozh.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a gazillion of family pics to put online. A few years ago I was
>> using Coppermine, but today is it still worth it? With the way WP now
>> can handle uploads and media etc, do you still use something external
>> like G2 or anything else?
>> Thanks in advance for any advice
>>
>> Ozh
>> --
>> http://planetOzh.com ~ Blog and WordPress Stuff
>> http://FrenchFragFactory.net ~ Daily Quake News

I still use an external gallery package.  Currently using Zenphoto.  I
am working on putting up a family blog and gallery and have chosen to
stick with Zenphoto for my gallery.  The one nice thing that Zenphoto
offers that WordPress doesn't is being able to upload the images via
ftp/scp/etc... and have the automatically loaded into the gallery.
This is the big thing for me because I don't like tying up a browser
that will end up consuming a lot of memory when trying to upload
several hundred photos at a time.

Gallery2 is way too bloated and slow in my opinion.  There are some
Zenphoto WordPress plugins, so you may be able to tie those 2
together.  Although I haven't looked into using them.

--
Matt Martz
matt at sivel.net