[wp-hackers] Re: wp-hackers Digest, Vol 47, Issue 37

Michael Torbert mrtorbert at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 18:11:25 GMT 2008

You are mistaken.  Windows isn't under the GNU GPL.  If you write software
the is dependent on parent software to run (ie a WordPress plugin or theme)
and that parent software is GPL, then the child software must inherit the
GPL license.  You agree by these terms when you use the parent software.
This doesn't apply to software under other licenses, like Windows.

Michael

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but does it mean that there can be
no *free* (as in freedom) products for Windows? Because any Windows app
has to call Windows API. But that does not mean that the calling
application is derivative work from Windows. And it uses license
different from that Windows does.

Best regards,
Vladimir